Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The first step to classroom management: have a vision

Nothing bedevils teachers like classroom management.  Research tells us that 1/3 leave teaching within the first three years and 1/2 leave within the first five years.  I imagine it is safe to attribute many of these defections to stress associated with an inability to properly manage their classrooms.  In fact, I have yet to meet the teacher who believed they were adequately prepared to manage a classroom when they entered the profession.  During my time as an educator I have had the distinct privilege to watch some excellent teachers in action.  Moreover, I have also had the opportunity to think about this issue and to discuss it at length with many of the staff members I have been so fortunate to work side-by-side with for the past 14 years.  As a result of these observations, discussions, and after much thought, I believe I have some ideas on how to improve any teacher's classroom management.

Teachers must have a vision for their classroom.  They must have a clear idea of how their classroom will look when it is operating at maximum efficiency and effectiveness.  What are the students doing when you are delivering the lesson?  How are they seated?  How do students enter and exit the room?  Your vision should encompass your procedures and policies for any situation you and your students may encounter throughout the day.  Developing a vision for your classroom will allow you to troubleshoot many problems before they ever arise in your classroom.  Moreover, it makes you think of your possible responses, thus preparing you to deal with or avoid potential problems down the road--and we all know an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  Developing a vision for your classroom serves as a catalyst to make you think about the behaviors you want to see, the behaviors you will tolerate, and the behaviors that are non-negotiable for you as a classroom leader.  Keep in mind that all successful organizations, teams, and individuals develop a vision and use that as their blueprint for action and decision-making.  When used properly, it helps orient our behavior in an effort to achieve our goals.

In the days to come I will also address some other components of classroom management.  As always, I am interested to hear what you have to say on the subject.  Please feel free to make comments or to email me your thoughts.  Have a great Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. This is a good time of the year to be reminded of this. I have lost track a little of the vision for my classroom that I had at the beginning of the school year.

    ReplyDelete