Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Interesting reading for educators

If you have any interest in why the Chinese tend to score so much higher than the United States on math assessments then you might want to click on this link.  I am looking forward to following this study.  If this subject is of particular interest to you then I suggest you also check out Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.
What makes math instruction more effective in China?



Thomas Friedman suggests that there is no secret to the success of students in Shanghai on the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) examinations.  He credits the "back to the basics" approach and a relentless emphasis on improving instructional practices.
Another view on education in China



Nice article on Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and the best way to utilize them in a school setting.
Education and skills using today's technologies



If you are an educator, please read this and post your response so we can have a discussion around this topic.  I am curious to hear what teachers have to say on this subject and would also be interested in the perspective parents would have regarding their experience with their sons in the classroom.
What schools can do to help boys succeed

4 comments:

  1. My child has a lot of energy and to sit for hours is a struggle. He tells me the reason he acts out in class is simply because he is bored. I suggested to the counselor to have him do jumping jacks in the hall, but I was told that this would not be a good idea since all the students may want to do jumping jacks. I didn't think of that, but I guess little kids would like to do jumping jacks unlike some big kids that dread the idea.

    I think students should have the opportunity to get out of their sits every hour and move or perform some sort of activity. This may lessen the need to drug our kids to keep them quiet.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa, I really believe that many adults forget how boring it can be for children to sit for long stretches at a time. Getting students up and moving gets the blood flowing, breaks up the monotony of the day, and enables them to remain alert throughout the day. This is especially important for our young men as they seem to have a bit more difficulty remaining attentive throughout the day.

      Delete
  2. I used to allow more breaks and that last article is a good reminder to include more physical aspects to my lessons. Sometimes it does seem like the boys in my class have done all the work they can do and just need a break. The article is also a good reminder to do something else I was planning which is to bring in some comics for students to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beau, I know that I certainly appreciate the opportunity to stretch my legs when I am in class. If at all possible, I would prefer to have two P.E. classes throughout the day for students. I would schedule one 30-40 minute class focused upon improving overall physical fitness, perhaps a swimming, running, or strength-training course. The second course would be of longer duration and would center around teamwork in an effort to get students moving and to teach a skill vital to the establishment of a successful culture at our school.

    ReplyDelete