Sunday, January 31, 2016

Thinking about what might have been led me to appreciate what already is

How many of you purchased a Powerball ticket when the jackpot was approximately $1.5 billion? I really, really hoped to have the winning numbers for that drawing; I even bought two tickets. I usually restrict my financial donation to the purchase of one ticket, but this time I was going all out in an effort to win.

When the numbers were announced I am sure none of you will find it surprising that my two tickets to a different life simply turned out to be two new bookmarks. Subsequently, I may still head to an Alabama football game this upcoming season, but I will not be driving a brand new motorhome to get there. That is too bad, because I most likely would have invited a few of you along for the ride. Heck, I would have even picked up the tabs at the numerous Waffle House and Chik-fil-A stops along the way!

I purchased two tickets because I wanted an opportunity at a better life, but the experience made me more appreciative of the life I already lead. While thinking about all I would do upon adding a whole bunch of zeros to my checking balance, I also began thinking about the abundance of blessings in my life currently.

I am blessed to be born and live in a nation that allows me certain freedoms, rights, and opportunities that countless others risk death to obtain. My country is far from perfect, but it is a country that allows its citizens to continually challenge it to live up to the promise it made to the world at the very beginning of its history. Moreover, it is the land of opportunity. Don’t believe it? Simply look around you and see the numerous examples of many who through hard work and determination have elevated their station in life. Were our nation’s borders open to all, we would double our population in no time and triple it soon after that; the only people cynical about the American Dream are already living here.

On a daily basis I pray to be a blessing to others as so many others have been a blessing to me. Time and again, I have been blessed by the wonderful people who have walked in and out of my life. I simply could not fathom having a better family or group of friends. I can count on them to lift me up when I fall, applaud me when I succeed, or gently cut me down to size when I get a little too big for my britches. For this, I am eternally grateful. I am where I am—and who I am—thanks to their efforts. The credit for all that is good is largely theirs, and the credit for what is left . . . well, I guess that falls squarely on my shoulders.


There is a lot I would have done had I been in possession of the winning numbers a few weeks back. No doubt there would be a few salespeople out there in a better spot financially due to the commissions they earned off my impulsiveness.  Had I held the winning ticket, I would certainly be in possession of more things, but I really believe I already have all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment