Friday, March 10, 2017

The importance of setting a good example for those we lead

"A good example is far better than a good precept."

Long before I became a father, I was well aware of the importance of setting a good example for those listening and watching. However, being a father of three young children under the age of seven has underscored the importance of this point. Now, more than ever, I am aware of the importance of the words I choose to use and the behaviors I display.

Over the past few months my son, Sawyer Owen, has mimicked my behavior numerous times. Once, after leaving my office door ajar, I entered the room to see him banging away at my keyboard—just like Daddy does. Recently, he has also appeared to be preoccupied with carrying a coffee cup around the house, pretending to drink coffee—just like Daddy does. Finally, I was able to capture him mimicking one of my good habits in the picture below.



Never in my life have I been more aware of the importance of setting a good example. Sawyer Owen, along with his older sister, Sloane Kathleen, are constantly watching what I do, listening to what I say, and often engaging in the same behavior and using the same words I choose to use. If I am not on my guard, this could prove to be a problem!

As educators, eyes are constantly watching us and ears are continually picking up that which proceeds from our mouths. Believe it or not, we are role models for the students we educate, the families we serve, and the teachers we lead. Therefore, I would suggest that there is no neutral in regard to what we say and do. People are always looking to us for direction and guidance. This is a massive responsibility to shoulder, but it is ours and it is imperative that we embrace it to effect positive change.

Do you want your students and overall school community to become better problem solvers? Model the way for them. Do you want your staff to embrace the concept of a growth mindset? Lead the way for them by embracing it first. As educators, we must adopt the maxim popularized by Gandhi: Be the change you wish to see in the world.


Our nation’s schools need leadership. One of the most important tenets of leadership is to set a good example for those following you by modeling exactly what you desire to see from them. All educators and educational leaders must embrace this responsibility.

1 comment:

  1. This article, and Sawyer's picture made me travel back in time when as a third grader, my father would ask me to help with proof reading the manuscripts of his books before sending them to the publisher... or when my mother would take me with her to the hospital where she worked, and would let me in her office while she visited her patients and I would go through the medical books on the large shelves behind her desk, and when she would come back, she would ask me if I found anything interesting and would talk to me about it.
    Teaming through intellectual exercise creates bondage, gives perspective, enables self-confidence, opens paths, develops opportunities, and ultimately uplifts yielding and unraveling a perfectly harmonious power, the power of knowledge.
    So, to go back to your article, setting a good example is equal to empowering others, and to me the best, most desirable type of leadership is the one that aims that eventually disciples surpass their master.
    Thank you for the read! (and for reminding me of a fabulous childhood too)

    ReplyDelete